Skip Navigation

Can I Drive a Hire Van on My Normal Driving Licence?

Many people need to hire a van, whether you’re moving house, transporting goods or for business-related tasks. But do you need a specific licence to drive a hire van? Before you hit the road, here’s what you need to know.

Check your driving licence category

You can check your driving licence category by looking at the back of your licence photocard. You will see the categories along with the specific types of vehicles you can drive, the start date and expiration date.

The most common licence type is a Category B licence. This allows you to drive a vehicle with up to 8 passengers and a maximum weight of 3,500kg. All of our vans do not exceed this weight of 3,500kg, so you can easily hire a vehicle with your standard Category B licence. This includes everything from a small van all the way up to a luton van with a tail lift.

If aged between 21-24 at the time of collecting a hire vehicle, you must have also held a full UK or EU driving licence for a minimum of 2 years. If aged over 25, you must have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 1 year.

How old do I need to be to rent a van?

To hire a vehicle from us, you must be at least 21 years old. However if you’re renting a 7.5 ton van, you need to be at least 25. The maximum age to rent a van is 75.

Are there special requirements to hire a luton van?

There are no special requirements to rent a luton van. You can drive a luton van with a maximum weight of 3,500kg on a standard Category B licence. They are the perfect size for house removals or transporting big pieces of furniture.

Can I drive a van over 3.5 tonnes?

You cannot drive a van exceeding 3,500kg on a standard Category B licence; you will need to upgrade your licence to Category C. This involves additional training and passing another practical driving test to ensure you have the skills and knowledge to operate a larger, heavier vehicle.

If you passed your driving test before 1st January 1997, you will have a start and expiration date next to the Category C1E on your licence. This allows you to drive a 7.5 Ton Box Tail Lift without the need for any additional training or a separate practical driving test. Although, it may be beneficial to undergo additional training if you haven’t driven this type of vehicle before.

Do I need insurance?

You don’t need to purchase insurance separately as we provide it with all of our rental vehicles. This is included in the hire cost, but the insurance excess will depend on your age. If aged between 21-24, your insurance excess will be slightly higher.

At Trott Rentals, we provide an insurance excess of £1,000. This can be reduced to £500 if you pay a collision damage waiver, costing £5-£10 depending on length of hire. If aged between 21-24 the insurance excess is £1,500, but can be reduced to £1,000 if the collision damage waiver is paid.

If you’ve received any points or had any accidents it’s essential to notify us, as we might not be able to insure you.

Need to rent a van?

We have a wide range of vans and trucks to choose from. Get a quote and check live availability today. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with us. We’d be happy to help!

You may also be interested in...

Get a Quote & Live Availability

Google Review Widget